The 8th and final CHINCHILLAFEST 2010

(30 posts)
  1. Ladies and gentlemen, strangers and friends... we are happy and sad to announce...

The 8th and final Chinchillafest

Friday 7 / Saturday 8 / May 2010

@ The Brudenell Social Club, 33 Queens Road, Leeds, LS6 1NY, UK

Peace and love brothers and sisters, see you down the front!

Posted 4 years ago Link
  2. catrick

i'm confused by all of this banter.....dom, e-mail about CHINCHILLAFEST.

Slightly more accurate details are as followed.

CHINCHILLAFEST 8
    FRIDAY 7TH/SATURDAY 8TH
    BRUDENELL SOCIAL CLUB, QUEENS ROAD, LEEDS

BANDS CONFIRMED SO FAR....

FRIDAY 7TH - MARVIN - COWTOWN

SATURDAY 8TH - HIGH PLACES - A MIDDLE SEX - CHOPS

MORE BANDS WILL BE ADDED OVER THE NEXT FEW MONTHS.....

THERE WILL BE NO SUNDAY EVENT THIS YEAR.....CAUSE IT'S NORMALLY A BIT SHIT.

I AM QUITE SENTIMENTAL AND WOULD BE HAPPY TO HAVE PEOPLE FILM AND DOCUMENT THE LAST CHINCHILLAFEST. TA.X

Posted 4 years ago Link
  3. oh shit yeah, i forgot we'd already scrapped the sunday! ooooops!

i wasn't laying down the law in regards to filming. i'd just prefer it if people enjoyed it, instead of documenting it.

Posted 4 years ago Link
  4. catrick

i see what you are saying....

Posted 4 years ago Link
  5. wheelsleep

to wit:

Ed: Do you own a video camera?
    Renee Madison: No. Fred hates them.
    Fred Madison: I like to remember things my own way.
    Ed: What do you mean by that?
    Fred Madison: How I remembered them. Not necessarily the way they
    happened.

Posted 4 years ago Link
  6. i do own a video camera, but it will be staying in it's box in my bedroom.

Posted 4 years ago Link
  7. .......

Posted 4 years ago Link
  8. catrick

dom, don't you read your e-mail?

Posted 4 years ago Link
  9. after i'd already posted that yeah!

You already posted it anyway!

Posted 4 years ago Link
  10. sven

yeah , the belgians are coming too you know!

love sven

Posted 4 years ago Link
  11. katalitic

Woot woot!

Posted 4 years ago Link
  12. Yes!!

Can't wait to announce the full line up, we just have to wait for one of the bands to have their date confirmed at a certain festival before we are allowed to announce them playing at Chinchillafest (slightly shitty scenario as we'd like to announce it as they'll definitely be playing on one or other of the days, but it'll be worth the wait!)

Posted 4 years ago Link
  13. Kenworthy

Is it Terrorvision?

Posted 4 years ago Link
  14. sven

i'm guessing (actualy hoping) it's Lightning Bolt!! well that would be a wet dream come true though ha haa ..

they play ATP on The 12th of May so it could very well be , no? please god!

Posted 4 years ago Link
  15. Sven, we did Lightning Bolt in December when they were on tour. Don't know if they're touring or not but i reckon they'll be one of the bands contracted not to play elsewhere. It's not them though sorry!

I wish I could say it was The Residents, but that'd be a lie.

Posted 4 years ago Link
  16. sven

no need to be sorry dude , i saw them last year in antwerp anyway so...ost importent thing is that i'll see my friends again :)

Posted 4 years ago Link
  17. pascal hens

Got some more names Dom?

Posted 4 years ago Link
  18. Yes! We got more names!

The Americans for Friday night have confirmed now, just got to wait another few days until their contract with another festival allows us to announce it (which sucks, but ah well...)

Full details and tickets announced next week... but it's looking right good!!!!

Posted 4 years ago Link

19. Posted 4 years ago Link
  20. C H I N C H I L L A F E S T 8
    Brudenell Social Club, Leeds
    Weekend Ticket = £10

DAY/WEEKEND TICKETS AVAILABLE AT WEGOTTICKETS | SEETICKETS | JUMBO RECORDS | CRASH RECORDS

Friday 7th May, 7:30pm, £5
    MARVIN | COWTOWN | KOGUMAZA | SPECTRALS | CISSY

Saturday 8th May, 4pm, £8
    BILGE PUMP | HIGH PLACES | ZUN ZUN EGUI | QUACK QUACK | PLEASE
    CHEN SANTA MARIA | A MIDDLE SEX | EUROPEAN SPIRITS

FRIDAY 7TH MAY -

MARVIN (Montpellier, France) - http://www.myspace.com/marvinband
    Africantape Records
    VIDEO - 'Bottles' live video -

Get the Video Widget
    Long-time awesome friendly friends of ours from southern France, with a new record out early 2010. A trio consisting of drums, guitar and Korg MS20 synth (the old analog sort with loads of knobs and phat-sound that'll make owners of the crappy modern Microkorg intensely jealous), Marvin crash-land somewhere in the every-man-and-woman's land between the characterised clamour of high-energy noisy instrumentals, psychedelia and Krautrock. Their newest album introduces vocals for the first time, and a change of pace towards even greater celebratory vibes! Over the Channel, Marvin have played gigs across Continent Europe with the likes of DEVO, Trans Am, Polysics, Don Caballero, Neptune, Zu, Oxes (etc), which might give you some idea of their most excellent calibre. Total winner!

COWTOWN (Leeds) - http://www.myspace.com/cowtownsuperstars
    Chinchilla-Tone, On The Bone, Golden Lab Records
    VIDEO - 'Evil Catrick' live video -

Get the Video Widget
    A three piece sing-a-long space-station of scratching, prodigious guitar rock fused with electric lemon Casioisms and 1977 Korg Micro Preset, tightly pinned to the floor by stadium-sized drums without the expected cheeseball outcome; Cowtown make tasty and poisonous anthems. New Album out now on City Hands.

KOGUMAZA (Nottingham) - http://www.myspace.com/oogamaza
    Low Point, Lancashire & Somerset Records
    VIDEO – Live at Junktion 7, Nottingham

Get the Video Widget
    Kogumaza live video -
    Get the Video Widget
    You may not know the name Kogumaza yet, but there's a chance you may have seen or heard some of their other/previous bands or collaborations, many of whom have graced various Chinchillafests and gigs over the last 9 years (Lords, Wolves Of Greece, Bob Tilton, Last Of The Real Hardmen, Felix, Reynolds, Little Girl With Cherries, Not In This Town, Glenn Branca's Orchestra, etc). This is what’s been said…."Kogumaza make music like a pot of water constantly on the boil; bubbling, steaming and popping violently, spraying scalding heat out in all directions before settling down to seethe quietly till the heat gets turned back up again". Enticing!

SPECTRALS (Leeds) - http://www.myspace.com/spectrals
    Captured Tracks
    VIDEO – live @ The Rest Is Noise, Brixton, London

Get the Video Widget
    Spector inspired lo-fi fuzz pop of heavy-hearted gloom and infectious sunkissed-breeze hooks. Spectrals is a one-man band, Louis Jones, who played in hardcore bands when younger. Now he’s making a sound like a twisted Phil Spector production of 50s/60s pop – but even weirder than Ol’ Wiggy Phil ever was. Word is he’ll be backed by a group of ‘unsavoury individuals’ who are probably good, fun-loving country lads really.

CISSY (Leeds) - http://www.myspace.com/cissysound
    Cellars. Unreliable electrics. Polyrhythms on Ludwig drums. Bleep Bloop midi talk and mikroKORG arppegiator. Angular guitar, sometimes fucked up on purpose. The bass guitar is in your stomach and feels FUNKY. Cissy includes people who also currently play, or have played, in The Dragon Rapide, Tigers!, The Lapse, Origami, Hey Little Cobra!, Factotum and Beards. Cissy has played with some other ace bands, such as James Chance et Les Contortions, Cryptacize, Cowtown, Das Boton, Fulborn Teversham, Origami, 7 Hertz, The Violets, Experimental Dental School, Team Gina, etc. Cissy is the sound of the East & the West, BBC Radiophonic Workshop, Synthpunk, Postpunk, NoWave, Donuts, Coffee, Amphetamines, Cats & Dogs, The 1970s, The 1980s, Colours, Sounds, Peoples, Fela Kuti, Kraut Rock, Electro, Kisses, Jumping, Dancing, Fun and Zombie flick obsession.

Plus Dan McEvoy dj set

SATURDAY 8TH MAY

BILGE PUMP (Leeds) - http://www.myspace.com/bilgepump
    Gringo, Troubleman Unlimited, Unlabel, Jonson Family, Obscene Baby Auction, Noisestar, Run of the Mill Records.
    VIDEO – Strom in a Teardrop live @ Rock n’ Roll Circus

Get the Video Widget
    Bilge Pump have a disturbing ability to be better than any band they play with. Imagine a boiling-over bastard concoction of all the best bits of The Jesus Lizard, Led Zeppelin, The Fall, Blue Cheer, Funkadelic and King Crimson. A thick broth of art-punk fractured progressive noise, condensed into atonal pop songs free of power chords. Nitro-fuelled avant-jazz rhythms create enough structural form amongst the twisted guitar and off-the-cuff witticisms to provide an uncanny ability to incite dancing! It doesn't matter how wired or weird Bilge Pump get; behind the progressive noise there are clear, distinctive, memorable songs: a rare and winning combination!

Chinchillafest essentially began as a reason to give Bilge Pump a guaranteed good gig, and so, quite rightly, it's Bilge Pump who are comin' atcha to lay rest to the memorable, beautiful, stressful, stupid and happy times we've had over the last 8 years of festivals! Not bad!

HIGH PLACES (New York, USA) - http://www.myspace.com/hellohighplaces
    Thrill Jockey, Upset the Rhythm, Mistletone Records
    VIDEO - 'I Was Born' video -

Get the Video Widget
    High Places are a less-is-more duo of polyrhythms and densely layered gorgeous harmony, evoking Byrne and Eno tooling around with meta-statements about making music. Except there is no statement to it - no sociology paper waiting to be boringly birthed. High Places lacks a quick and fleeting way to grab a listener, no wink-and-nod gimmick hooks (and that's also a good thing - less is more, you see?). They write about the universe, dinosaurs, birth, psychedelic floods and doom clouds, but their lack of pretence is very much a very good thing indeed. Simultaneously intimate and all-encompassing digital and natural dancefloor soundscapes that are voluminous and frilly, like swimming through oceans of lace or walking in the woods with twigs crunching under foot and chirps overhead. High Places use pre-recorded tracks, live percussion and processing to recreate their sound, successfully evolving the somewhat sticky ground of making sequenced music work in a live environment. One of the few internet hype bands to out-live the hype through constant improvement, High Places are total music for the existential dance party. Carribbean!

ZUN ZUN EGUI (Mauritius, UK, Japan, France) - http://www.myspace.com/zunzunegui
    VIDEO – Zun Zun Egui Live in unknown destination

Get the Video Widget
    The loosely-based Bristol outfit make a sound that should be impossible to conjure with four people, two guitars, keys and drums. Immense, everywhere, crystalline and personal so that it doesn’t just spin off into the ether, though it teasingly threatens to. Big clean rhythmic blocks of post punk guitar, Malian jangle sprint and crushing volleys of bouncy castle metal swallowed up by swirling, mind-bending psychedelia. Totally ace. Catch them while you can, they are busy folks.

QUACK QUACK (Leeds) - http://www.myspace.com/thisisquackquack
    Run Of The Mill Records
    VIDEO – Conversations Live at BW Fest

Get the Video Widget
    Quack Quack have been around for a fair few years now, touring the country with the likes of Pit Er Pat (Thrill Jockey), Polar Bear and Fulborn Teversham, and two hungrily received releases in the form of a 7" and EP. Finishing up a UK tour to celebrate the long, long, long awaited album which finally sees the light of day on Leaf Records subsidiary Cuckundoo Records? On the surface, Leeds trio Quack Quack seem to exist in some animated part-prog, part-post-rock indie hinterland, but closer inspection reveals a tight-knit instrumental trio who, in absorbing and acknowledging everything from dub, jazz, funk, and electronic music, subvert all tidy enclosures of prog-this or post-that.

CHEN SANTA MARIA (Oakland, USA) - http://www.myspace.com/chensantamaria
    Zum, gssd, Shit On Records
    VIDEO – Chen Santa Maria Live @ Mile High Club

Get the Video Widget
    Formed in the winter of 2005 when the two solo acts (Megaweapon and Fun Santa Maria) of Oakland duo Chen Santa Maria were thrust together on a West Coast tour. An ever fluctuating instrumentation and dedication to computer-free improvising has been the only consistent factor since inception. Buffalo native Steven Santa Maria has made copious CDR noise releases under the names Fun Santa Maria and collaborated with Randy Lee Sutherland in Jah No Dead. George Chen has played in the bands KIT (who you might have seen play with their friends Deerhoof at The Irish Centre a few years ago), 7 Year Rabbit Cycle, Boxleitner, Vholtz, Grey Daturas (as touring bassist), Must Have No Magic, and Common Eider King Eider. Having shared stages with Yellow Swans, UsaIsAMonster, Hair Police, Sic Alps, YACHT (etc) at home in the States, Chen Santa Maria make their first journey to European shores.

A MIDDLE SEX (Manchester) - http://www.myspace.com/amiddlesex
    Carnivals, Blackest Rainbow, Slightly Off Kilter Records
    Triumphantly returning after pouring treacle into the ventricles of Chinchillafest 2009! Swirling loops of drone and wailing feedback act as a canvas for layered tribal drums, cattered vocal chants and some sinister guitar wailings of the best kind. Consistent and valiant efforts to cover all bases, wandering from rapturous outpourings of sound and rhythm to static drones, drifting ambience and ‘almost’ pop friendly bliss. Comparable to the Boredoms, Black Eyes and (to an extent) Liquid Liquid for their ability to successfully merge uplifting ambience with thunderous assaults of rhythm. Awesome!

RUNNERS (Leeds) - http://longdistancerunners.wordpress.com
    The launch of an expansive and massive, borderless universe collided through diamond-cut DRUMS, Library explorations of Pure-Tone Analog Frequency, focussed phase and pulsating patterns of inverted disco phrasing. Expect new newness from some local lads.

Plus Norman Records dj set

Posted 4 years ago Link

Back to messageboard

Back to » Messageboard

Reply »

You must log in to post.

RSS feed for this topic